The Supreme Court just handed down its decision in Quanta Computer Inc. v. LG Electronics Inc., 06-937. The Court ruled 9-0 in favor of Quanta ruling that method patents are subject to exhaustion, and that the patents had been exhausted in this case. The opinion is here. It will be interesting to see how this decision plays out in the agbiotech context. Croplife International, BIO and the American Seed Trade Associations all filed amicus briefs urging the court to decide the case in a fashion that did not raise questions about the licensing agreements used in the agbiotech context. Given the Court's fairly sweeping language and unanimous opinion, I imagine there are some very anxious patent holders in agbiotech land this afternoon.
Monday, June 09, 2008
Agricultural Law Essentials
- Twists and Turns: Tyson's "Raised Without Antibiot...
- The Enron of Farming?
- New York Times Series "The Food Chain"
- Guano is back
- Farm Bill Enacted, or At Least Most of It
- A Different Look at Horse Breeding
- Almost heaven
- The Dark Side: Horse Racing
- Ethanol: Not Ready for Prime Time, Impacts Dinner...
- Recent Perspectives on Meat Production
Subscribe to Agricultural Law