Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Law & the Future of the Food Movement

Last month, Emily Broad Leib, Senior Clinical Fellow in the Health Law and Policy Clinic at Harvard Law School spoke at a TEDx forum on food policy.
Well-crafted food policy should fulfill a range of goals, including increasing access to healthy foods, improving economic development for small producers, reducing obesity and diet-related disease, and increasing food security. 
Professor Leib discusses the role that lawyers (and law students) can play in developing food policy and encourages law schools to get involved.

Here is her excellent presentation -

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

This was an excellent encouragement to me as I begin to try to need the call for action issued at the end of the video.

I've been a busines lawyer at a larger Midwestern law firm for 14 years. Last Fall, I began eating only real foods and, thus, my interest in food law and policy has taken off. Over the past several months, I've come to the realization that I'd really like to help those small producers and related people in the organic/sustainable/non-GMO/whole foods arena navigate the complex regulatory and policy issues that affect them.

Here's my challenge: I have a background in business law; specifically, the highly-regulated area of finance law (regulatory/compliance and litigation). I have many transferable skills, including contract drafting and enforcement, all aspects of litigation, lobbying, etc., a real passion for the subject matter (and true capacity to learn substantive law, particularly statutory/regulatory) and the skills needed to navigate that, but no real contacts or substantive experience in food law and policy yet.

Any suggestions for someone in my position? I'm looking to move out on my own (or partner with a very small number of others), but want to be sure I'm smart about it from a business standpoint. I do not expect a big firm salary by any stretch, but do need to make a living while helping others make theirs.

1/31/2012 1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

First sentence should be "heed the call." I was typing on my iPad. Sorry for typos!

1/31/2012 2:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home